enola1@yahoo.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, February 1, 2021

A cry for help

 


                                                     Henry Wallis' "Chatterton" 1865

  "My dear friend, I have been at war with the grave for some time now." Thomas Chatterton 


I don't reach out when I need help, some would say it’s self defeating; personally, I don't think anyone really gives a shit. I’m so used to people who say they care about me get angry and upset, suggest pills or hospitalization when my emotions are an inconvenience to them, or they have nothing to say at all. I mean, what could anyone say? People with depression aren't equipped to help others with depression, those who don’t have similar issues couldn’t possibly fathom the desperation that occurs.


I’ve been stuck in this gaping maw for nearly a month now, whenever I feel as if I’ve pulled through on my own, I end up being swallowed—I stop showering, I eat too much if I eat at all, and just getting out of bed feels like I’m sprinting uphill. The emotional baggage affects my neck, shoulders, and back. I thought about going to therapy, but I’ve been down that road many times before. Without insurance, its pricey and time consuming. Most of the time, you end up going through multiple therapists before you find the right one. I don't think I have that kind of time…


As much as I want to reach out, ask someone for help, it feels like emotional black mail to tell them I’m suicidal; but I feel like I need to tell someone. Yet, whenever I get around people, especially large crowds; I feel lost, alone, out of place—I spend most of my time feeling like I want to jump out of my skin, but what I really want and I try to do is feel comfortable in it. I’m so tired of fighting…


I want to reach out and connect with others, but I feel selfish for even trying. I don’t know who I am or where I fit, I feel completely and utterly worthless. Expecting more feels greedy and narcissistic, I feel like I don't deserve to be loved or cared about because theirs no way I’m good enough. I feel like a mistake…


If anyone is reading this, yes, it is a cry for help; but I don't expect anything from you, I certainly don't want you to feel obligated to reach out and try to help. Theirs no use in feeling just as uncomfortable as I do, I’ve done this alone before and I pride myself in being able to do so, I just hope I can do it again.


I want to want to live, but I’m completely clueless, and I feel guilty for being alive.


I don’t know what to do…

                                                                                    

                                                                 Art by: NerdGhostWaffles 
                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Hay, I guess I'm here in solidarity? I'm hoping to get the words right... I get it. Perhaps I should have more words to say or something useful to offer... But all I have is a heavy sigh and a "yep, that feels about right". With my uselessness aside, I really like your writing and I hope we both stay around long enough to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment, it means a lot to me. You may not have anything to say, but theirs not really anything you can say. I appreciate you reading my work, I'm doing better so I can definitely say that I'll be around a bit longer and I hope you are as well. Take care of yourself :-)

      Delete